Docman

It occurred to me that I should mention that the wire wheels that were optional on the US GT6 Mk3 were not the type with splined hubs & knockoffs, but bolt-on wire wheels.  

You changed them with a lug wrench like steel wheels.  The center of the wheel was a small pipe, with a cap on the outside instead of a knockoff.  The bolt-on wire wheels could usually be spotted on a car by their side profile:  steel wheels and knockoff-type wire wheels are sort of vertical, but bolt-on wires were sort of convex.  The "basket" of wires pokes outwards appreciably and with the smaller center pipe (not being splined), it sort of looks like a circus tent turned sideways.

Richard_B wrote:
The scariest story with wire wheels I was told; was with spin-on wire wheels, where the adapter kept the wheel on the hub, but the splines had worn.

An emergency stop and the front brakes locked but the wheels kept turning because of play in the splines.

I have a good scary story of my own involving the first car I put wires on.
I didn't pay attention to the markings "Left Side" & "Right Side".  
I didn't have to drive very far before the hubs unscrewed and a wheel fell off.
Ah, youth.........

I've run my Midge on wires for many years. The only let-down that I have encountered was when an unseen hairline crack in one knock-off spinner led to its subsequent loosening and departure! This in the days before I had a mobile phone. And no breakdown cover. And a mile from the nearest phone-box....The spinner was found about 1.5 miles back down the road.  I got home eventually, but not on 4 wires...Long story.

Archived