5j wheels and tires

bry940

Hi all,

I am wondering what is the widest tire you can fit on 5j rims. Im currently considering options for changing the wheels on a budget. I would like the 5.5j but it looks like everyone in the world wants them. Also weller 6x13 looks like a nice choice to. But if i keep the original wheels with wider, lower profile tires that might provide the hill-climb sprint look im after.

Any ideas and pictures are welcome

175/70 will go on OK. I was using some on 4 1/2j rims earlier today for the CT autosolo.....no way was I using "good" tyres for that, so I have some "sub-prime" tyres on the coomon and worthless std spit rims...
In fact I was also running a pair of 175/60 13 tyres on the rear which offer a much lower profile and lower the gearing by about 6%. Slightly odd set up, but seemed to work ok!

2085 wrote:
great i thought that might be the max tough

No, 185/70R13s are absolutely fine on 5j 13 wheels as many competition miles on my TR7 prove (and as per the Michelin technical data book).

On a Spitfire think carefully about going lower than 70series profile if you can avoid it due to the varying camber angles in the rear suspension.

On a mkiv/1500 you can happily use MGF wheels/tyres. BUT I think they are too low a profile in all honesty, 60's about the lowest, and 70's better really. 175/70 are a popular choice for many reasons, including they are the same diameter as the original tyres.
The other option is maestro/montego 14" wheels, cheap IF you can find a set. 185/60r14 then a good choice.

Yep, no mods needed. I ran them on my car for a while.
Lots of spits have them fitted, but in reality the 185/55 tyres up front are ok, the rears are 205/50 (or is it 45?) so getting a bit thin. Not such a problem on a rotoflex car though.

It's the other way around.
Your wheels should be as wide as the tread on the tyres you want to use.
If you fit tyres with a wider tread, then the tyre will be more unstable on the wheel than it should.
Imagine a car tyre, fitted to a bicycle wheel to get the idea - the tread will wobble fron side to side.

So 5J isn't really wide enough for even a 185 tread, but it'll do.
205 is ridiculous.

John

Archived