rubbing with 5.5 mk111 wheels?

qunvat

hi all

have got another ...pic attached.

long story.

the current wheels are mk111 5.5's (yippee!) and i think i'll keep em as the handling is already almost very very good, with 165 70 13's on ...

BUT i'd like to try 175 70 's or 185 60's  ...as the car needs a new tyre or two.

just need to know if anyones had any rubbing issues...at the mo theres NONE even at full lock.

ta, si

Some replacement dampers have been known with spring seats in the wrong place. It's often down to owners improvising and using a "near enough" damper instead of the proper item.
Sorry I can't offer any advice on what tyres will clear your arches, I've not gone far from standard on a Spitfire or GT6,
Cheers,
Bill.

mm i had similar problems, im running on 175/70/13  on the front, stiffer suspension and dampers with adjustable spring seat made it sit nicely, although it does sometimes (but rarely) rubs on the wheel arch. is there a spacer under the spring, it certainly looks much higher than normal?? i may be wrong.

Richard_B wrote:
I used to run 175/70x13 on the front & 185/70x13 on the back on my MkIII Spiftire. Front tyres might rub on the bulkead on extreme bounce. The wheelarchs should be fine.
You definitely need to lower that front!

that sounds about right!

I have 175/70s on my Mk1 GT6.  Lowered suspension by 1" by fitting shorter uprated springs.

Tyres rubbed on arches.  Like Rumpith I cut the inside lip of the arches back and they've been happy ever since!

I highly recommend them.  The feel on 175s is soooo completely different.  The car holds the road for a start!

My car on 175/70s:

Archived