Tasty new wheels

josh18

Thanks Iggy, I think they would be shorter than the Witor ones. I will be able to confirm that shortly as a mate is getting some soon. They are just cut down stock springs however. I was always meaning to change them for something better but they are actually pretty good as they are, the ride is not TOO harsh. The length of them lets them just stay in the spring perch when the strut is fully extended. I also have the bump stops cut off the end of the cross member as the LCAs uses to rest on them and the ride was VERY harsh. I now have bump stops on the strut shafts and have never had an issue. I also redrilled the LCA location holes in the cross member outwards about ten mm for extra camber and wider stance. So far I haven't noticed any negatives to the much wider track either, just much more grip!
Cheers

Yep, cut them too! The rear rides better than the back.
My version of ok ride would probably be terrible to a lot of other guys. I wouldn't recommend cutting springs unless you have a spare set so you can put them back in if you feel it makes the ride too harsh.
The rear end is recambered with Witor's inner shackles too.

I think some suspension shops can do that for you- cut and swage I think they call it. I don't know how they do it.
One thing to bear in mind if you don't know is that cutting coils off a spring stiffens them up a lot, because of the reduction in working length. So if you cut, say, 2" off the car might only sit 1" lower because it is now stiffer. I would say cut them down bit by bit and see how it sits and drives. I have heard of getting someone to heat the spring evenly and then compress it to a lower height. This will be lower but retain the old spring rate. Ive always been of the opinion that to go low you need the extra stiffness to resist bottoming out though.
These cars are begging to be lowered and have their arches filled IMO though- I used to hate how the wheels on mine were so tucked under.
Now I love the look!