cammmy

You can probably get up to an 8inch rim, but need lots of inward offset, as teh outer lip of the arch is the limitting factor.

You can hammer the flange upwards to gain about half an inch extra clearance.

Then you need to start looking at pulled arches such as those on Grahams (MichellittiV8's) car, or Mr Chattertons estate.

Cheers

Colin

You will get away with an 8X15 with 33mm offset at the rear (but not the front) with slight dressing of the arch lip depending on tyre choice. 205/50 r 15 are smaller in diameter than the original and will help acceleration and make the speedo look like you're going quicker than you really are. The max width recommended (road tyre) by most manufacturers is 7 1/2" (the same as a 205/55 r 15 or 205/60 r15 which gets the gearing closer to original). So if you really want an 8x15 you need 225/50 r 15 or 225/55R15 (only Uniroyal r440)which will need arch modifications.
In the UK (e-marked tyres) choice is limited to Falken FK912 or Toyo T1R, or various budget tyres. The T1R is best of the bunch but still not brilliant in comparison to more modern releases from Premium tyre manufactures. EARS have them for £85 ea. Trackday tyres are Kumho V700, Yoky A048 and Toyo R888, but dont expect grip from cold especially in the wet. A 7x15 with a 24mm offset with a 205/55 or 195/60 R15 is as wide as you need for road use and depending on tyre choice depends whether you need to dress the inner lip at the rear. For exmple T1R's are fractionally wider than FK912 for the same size.
The other option is 8X16" with 225/45r16 (same height as 225/50r15) but a smaller sidewall and better choices, such as Uniroyal Rainsport 2. Minilite (Tech Del) do an 8X16 with a zero offset minimum so won't fit under your original arches. It's more practical to keep the offsets the same front and rear for road use.

Superlite 7 x 15 25P bolt straight on and 205/50 or 205/55 just fit

I run 225/50 x 15 with Racetoration magnesium minilites but the arches are rolled and the inners somewhat modified. Offset was copied from compomotive ML 7 x 15 as they were supplied to a large boss which I machined to fit. 7 inch is barely enough for modern track day 225's which seem to be closer to 240 in reality. Some 7.5 x 15 custom rims might be the solution or maybe a Yokohama 205/60 A048  ;)

Awesome, thanks guys.

I'm looking at running 340BHP + when the V8 is in there so want to get the widest rears possible.

I would like to keep 15" if possible as in NZ 16" wheels aren't that common, so tyre choice is limited and expensive. There's a lot more available in 15" and 17" but 17" would be a bit big I think.

Does anyone have pics of pulled arches?

880 wrote:
Awesome, thanks guys.

I'm looking at running 340BHP + when the V8 is in there so want to get the widest rears possible.

I would like to keep 15" if possible as in NZ 16" wheels aren't that common, so tyre choice is limited and expensive. There's a lot more available in 15" and 17" but 17" would be a bit big I think.

Does anyone have pics of pulled arches?

Are you wanting to go fast around corners, or in a straight line, or is this project about "looks"? Remember that really wide wheels/tyres will play havoc with the car's handling. Also, most fast racers fit relatively narrow tyres--for good reason. Further, 340 sounds like a lot of horsepower. Are you planning to retain the independent bum, or fit a live axle?

My $0.02. Good luck with the project!

A combination of all three Peter. I have 6" wide wheels on there at the moment with 185's but I think they will be a bit skinny for the V8.

I was thinking 7.5" or 8" wide rears with maybe 225 wide tyres to reduce sidewall flex. My old MR2 had 225 rears from factory and that only had 188BHP to contend with (and it handled very well).

I'm looking at a Long nose Nissan R200 or similar LSD. Will remove the quill shaft and should handle the power well.

880 wrote:
A combination of all three Peter. I have 6" wide wheels on there at the moment with 185's but I think they will be a bit skinny for the V8.

I was thinking 7.5" or 8" wide rears with maybe 225 wide tyres to reduce sidewall flex. My old MR2 had 225 rears from factory and that only had 188BHP to contend with (and it handled very well).

I see your thinking, however would respectfully suggest that less is probably going to give you more in this case. I'd suggest 195s on existing 6", or a step up to 205 on 7". Remember the camber angle variation inherent in the rear suspension will start to become a serious issue if you have really wide low-profile tyres and if you have lowered the back-end at all. In the end, you are the owner and driver, so the choice is yours :)

It is lowered and I do currently have excessive camber but I'm looking to sort that (hopefully) by modifying swing arm shackles.

Well I can always try it with the current wheels and see how it goes, then decide from there.

Thanks guys.

Also, still keen to see pictures of modified arches if anyone has any.