Spacesaver Wheels - which one?

Jason

Foolishly I turfed out a load of recent Practical Performance car car mags in my study, along with them when a wheel swap reference guide that gave details of modern cars who's wheels would fit the PI.

I've got 5 wheels for it (K so one is bent and needs sorting) but I don't want to run around with it in the boot and prefer a can of tyre weld at the moment. That got me to thinking that perhaps a spacesaver from a modern could do the trick - which sent me looking for the PPC mag which I have chucked out!

So the question is, what would work? I recall Saab 900 and Rover 600 had the right stud pattern but I can't remember a lot else - any ideas?

PCD is 114.3, 4 stud (obviously). Others that fit include, but not exclusively (cos my memory is rubbish):

Volvo V40/S40 (last shap, not new one on 5 studs)
Rover 800/600
Saab 900 (older ones)
Mitsubishi (Evo up to 4 I think, Space Star, Old Galant)

Check out a website - Retro Rides Wheel PCD database (I am not good enough to link it, sorry)

The full list of 114.3x4 PCD wheels (make, model, year from and to):

Austin Allegro 0 0
Austin 1300 0 0
Austin Cambridge 0 0
Austin 1800 1975 1978
Austin 2200 1975 1976
Austin Austin Farina Range 0 0
Austin Princess 0 0
Daewoo Matiz 0 0
Datsun 1600 0 0
Datsun 2000 0 0
Honda Prelude 1992 0
Honda Legend 0 1990
Honda Civic V-Tec 1997 0
Honda Accord 1992 0
Hyundai Accent 0 0
Hyundai Pony 0 0
Hyundai Sonata 0 0
Hyundai Lantra 0 0
Hyundai Excel 0 0
Hyundai Atos 0 0
Hyundai Coupe 0 0
Kia Clarus 0 0
Mitsubishi Space Runner 0 0
Mitsubishi Space Wagon 0 0
Mitsubishi Galant 0 0
Mitsubishi Lancer 0 1991
Mitsubishi Colt 0 1991
Mitsubishi Carisma 1.8 16v 0 0
Nissan Prairie 0 0
Nissan Bluebird 0 0
Nissan Primera 0 0
Nissan 200SX 0 1994
Rover 600 0 0
Rover 800 0 0
Subaru Justy 1995 0
Suzuki Alto 0 0
Suzuki Sedan 0 0
Suzuki Swift 0 0
Volvo T4 0 0
Volvo S40 0 0
Volvo V40 0 0

timbancroft61 wrote:
I think Jason's prob. is the dia. of the wheels on his car is larger than the diameter of the wheel well?

So whichever spacesaver fits in the wheel well will have a smaller rolling radius than the road wheels, hence possibly illegal to use.

Might also need a second set of wheelnuts to be compatible with the spare wheel.  Much simpler just to use a Triumph wheel I would have thought...

Steve H

:-)

I don't want the 15" alli as a spare if I can help it, I thought a nice think spacesaver would be the way to go, that way it can go under the boot floor and I can tidy the boot up a lot. I don't like to carry a lot of stuff but I do like a spare. Generally though I just carry a can of tyre weld.

Thanks for the details though guys - Saab 900 seem the easiest to get hold of, about £15

Good advice mate! I once found that the wheel brace I'd had in the car for several years was perfect for a jack handle but usless for taking wheel nut soff. Not the kind of thing you want to find out when it's hammering down with rain and you're late for a wedding! "Let's go in the Triumph!" came back to haunt me!

Archived