Vitesse 6; what tyres?

vit6iw

I've started a new thread as I added this to my "Vitesse 6; what wheels?" and wasn't getting many responses.

I took advantage of the TSSC December sale and bought myself 5 Minilites.  They are 5 1/2 x 13 and now I need some tyres.  I'm asking the same question on the TSSC site but I wanted to get as many opinions as possible on what 175/70-13s I should consider buying.

Avon CR322s were suggested.  I've been quoted £162.50 for 5 inclusive from National Tyre.  The CR322 Enviro didn't do well in the wet according to a recent Which? test report.

So those people who have posted pics of Vitesses with different styles of wheel; what tyres have you got and what's your opinion of them?

Denis

Those avons worked just dandy on my spitfire. I ran 175/70 tyres on my vitesse, and found uniroyals good on there. I suspect any decent brand of tyre will be pretty OK. Those mag reports are OK, but some differ wildy between magazines depending on what they are looking for. And bear in mind the tyres will probably need replacing well before they wear out as they degrade over the years, so longevity is not really an issue. But wet handling is the one to go for every time.
Clive

Although fitted to a GT6 Mk1, not a Vitesse, I have found the 175/70 R13 Uniroyal Rallye 680 wet weather tyres quite brilliant on my car.

Wear rate is excellent, too.  I'm currently driving close to 280 miles a week in my GT6 and the tyres are still not showing signs of heavy wear.

I am running a set of Firestone Multihawk 175/70 R13 82T on my 70's 5 1/2J Cosmics (13/60 Est)  I am only doing low mileage but I am very pleased with the grip in all conditions.   I seem to recall paying about £160 for 4 from a local tyre supplier and not long after having to have a tube fitted to one of them because of a porous wheel.   Mark.

Archived