Camber/tyres update

IVANHOE

The "new" spring is also knackered !

Look at this side on picture of a Herald/Vitesse and it is towing a caravan so it probably has aheavy rear en load.  It is sitting considerably higher than yours with no load.
[Sorry, album link no longer available]

Ok, Thanks for your help, NEW spring it is then.    Just got to decide [and get the pennys for]  What to get.......

Swing spring kit?            Courier Spring ..... If available?          Another standard spring?

With the swing spring kit, it mentions on Canley site about brake mod components, could anyone advise as to what has to be done to the brakes?

Cheers --- Andy ---

Just emailed rarebits with regard courier spring. ;)

Andy (?)
That is excessively lowered, unless you intend to enter the Stafford LoRider competition:
For last year's event, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrO5SLLxQXk
(I'm especially fond of the Amistad Club, strutting their stuff with stubbies and sneakers, at about 2:15)

One of the pics on your slide show, No.4 I think, shows the spring eye and upper end of the upright, from an angle.
The bolt looks to be far from central to the eye, or is that an illusion?
Have you checked the bush?

John

Just a long shot, are you certain that there isn't a "lowering" block fitted on the top of the diff.

It would have been obvious when you removed the spring - normally they are made of aluminium and they are fitted between the top of the diff and the spring.  They are 1/2", 3/4" or 1" thick depending on how much someone wanted to lower the car.  http://www.canleyclassics.com/products.asp?article=diffspacers.xml

that looks just like the trouble I had with a Moss decambered spring  10deg neg and sits on the shocker bumpstops
as for toe  have a look at a post I did last year on Tssc for clues on achieving a result without much kit
http://www.tssc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=10216&catid=194#10216

as for a swinger I had one  and took it of too much roll (saloon) and it minced the top box pad , the brake pipes have to be repositioned or the moving eye of the spring will chop tho' the pipe if you dont rebend and relocate it  the parts are in with the kit   Pete
and excessive toe out at the back the tyres will spread the the suspension  too much toe in and it will converge the suspn.     do you get bump steer at the back,,, does it bunny hop on pot holes ???   a sure  sign toe is wrong,  ( and put 150 lb on each seat before you check it )
but you have to fit a new something,, bet the tyres have made contact with the inner wheelarch     Pete

Thanks guys, all your comments are taken on board and appreciated.

I will update when I find the time to do more on it.

Defo no spacer block kev.

I am Curious as to how the ali blocks stand the test of time.......... anyone checked on the condition of theirs after its been on a while.

If I buy a standard spring can anyone recommend the best source for a good quality one............ or are they all coming from the same manufacturer?

Best regards to all --- Andy ---

stillnotfinnished wrote:
hi all what is the point of the pad metioned on top of the swingspring?
i swopped  over to a  swinger on my herald, don't remember any pad :B

It cushions where the upper leaves pivot on the central pin around the bottom leaf. If thta makes sense?  :-/

Only a few quid, but you need the spring out to dismantle and replace the pad.

Archived