openroad

cheers for that colin,will check out my rims,i suppose they only take a cetain size of tyre....also i didnt realise they were van tyre size...i have a good contact there.i am not sure if 195`s will fit in the arches without catching,but will also check that out.
basically i just want to improve handling etc.

Good Evening,

195/65/15 tyres are the ultimate tyre size for a 5.5" rim.

I have Pirelli P6000 tyres, and these are great.  Cost - £55 each including VAT.

if you have a 6" wheel, you can perhaps use a slightly wider tyre.  I actually run a 6" wheel with 195/65/15.

Overal speed accuracy is still good, too.

Cheers

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=24500715.110.29133&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=V&kategorie=6&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So&Ang_pro_Seite=15&weiter=105

really suggest you look at the Nokian v in either 195,or 205, nothing comes close,
go have a look

rgds Marcus

thanks once again for the advice and info,i have 5.5 inch rims with 165 michelins,i need to change them...so now seem to have a few options,i must say the pirreli 6000 sound good and cheap,i will have alook around for some.
my only slight worry,is that i agoing away from the origianal look and thoughts of the makers,but is that such a crime !
happy motoring....

no worries scrapman,i will be avoiding all hedges...i did get your drift and wont be ordering any...
am probably going to go with 165/80/15 as per original spec.all i need to do now is find the right make at the right price.......

Only one real contender if you want original performance - Michelin 165 XAS - performance will be streets ahead of anything else in that size - cost is high but will only add value and improve handling and feel of the car - most TR's are over tyred nowadays

http://oldtimertires.com/page/165HR15%20Michelin%20XAS.html

thankyou andy,
strangely i have xas`s on now,and the road holding is fine,its just that they are old,the car has done 18k miles in last 24 years,and tread looks good.thanks for the link...i have contacted longstone and recommend their free poster offer...its very much of the era !
i will just have to part with more money,but thats classics for you ...

• 2 weeks later...

no substitute for good tyres, hang the expense on this occasion.
The XASs are the right (period)tyre for the car. For me, like Tom,
the 195/65/15 gives the right level grip and fills the wheel arch
nicely. For me the Pirelli P6 is good brand with a 'classic' look,
   cheers,
     Laurence

Archived