Andy Flexney

Hello,
It is becoming difficult to find good 165-15 tyres for the TR3 and I was thinking of going onto 185/65 – 15. The problem is this size will not fit into the spare wheel compartment. The maximum size I can get in is a 165 -15 but if I do this and have to use it I am then driving illegally or am I?

Has anyone any experience with getting a 165-15 tyre accepted as a “space saver” tyre and not getting into trouble if used in an emergency?

Cheers
Andy F

andy,

considering the amount of idiots i see driving home or to a garage on a FLAT tyre i would say your idea is better than nothing.i suppose if you mark it as being a space saver/emergency spare and driving below say 40mph(can't remember what the limit is on these wheels)i can't see any problem.only detail is a difference in diameters between tyres may upset the driving characteristic of the car a bit,hence the low speeds.ask your insurance co.for advice at least you know you will be covered then. :)

I have a narrower tyre as a spare for my 6. As esxefi says if you need to use it just drive sensibly to the nearest tyre depot and get a replacement for the punctured tyre. Most space saver tyres allow 50 mph and should be perfectly acceptable to use in an emergency but not prolonged or high speed running.

Archived