Which tyres size should I buy?

DazBock

I currently have 175 80 13s on my 1500 Spit and with the saggy spring they rub, the speedo is also out so I am going to change them this week. However what should I get?

O.E. 155 80 13 or Wider 175 70 13???

How much grip do you actually gain with the wider tyre. I can get both tyres at the same price so that is not an issue.

Thanks in advance

Daz

Hi Baz,

As with RedRooster above, I have a friend of mine who has fitted 175/70/13 Yoko A-drives on his 4.5J wheels on his Spit 1500 and is loving them.

I found that on my GT6 the grip gained on the 175s I bought was significant compared to 155s and now recommend 175s as a matter of course accordingly.

I think the 165/70 have the same rolling radius as the 145/80 tyres. A friend has them on his mk3 spit, suit the car just fine.
I like 175/70 tyres, they seem to work well on the cars, and give a more meaningful "look" as well. It would be interesting to see if they do help handling, but very difficult to test.
Definately get good tyres. Avoid the "economy" brands is a good move.
Good prices available on the internet and elsewhere.

As per the general concensus I have ordered some 175 - 70 - 13 Yokohama A-Drives which are being fitted to the car on Sunday! Hopefully this will make a big difference though I fear the rear spring may still need doing!

Thanks for the help!

Daz

Archived