GT6 (MK3) Tyres

john2502

Hi all.

So with the winter service work finally done yesterday (been a busy few months) i need to get 4 new rubber shoes for the old gal so i can start using daily again.

I seem to remember seeing most suggest 175/70/R13 as a good all rounder and is a very common size so lots of well priced options.

Weirdly my current tyres dont have all the numbers I'd expect on them (not sure if it is an age related thing!). They read: Dunlop SP Sport 82S 165 SR 13. So has the 165 width and 13 rim size but no profile. Weird.

Anyway, just looking for confirmation that is the best size and any brand recommendations, ideally one that blackcircles sell! haha.

Where the profile isn't marked it usually means they are 80s.

I like the 175/70 size though they work best on a 5"+ wide rim and this also gives almost exactly the same rolling radius as the factory specified 155/80.  You will have been running a slightly higher RR with your current tyres I think.

Make wise, I've just bought some Falken SN832s (via MyTyres) which seemed be a good deal and they come recommended by several on this forum.  They are one of the very few out there with an A rating for wet grip.

I had Semperit Comfortlife on before and they were pretty good and have lasted well.  They are coming off due to age mainly (went on mid 200 and the fronts have done >20k.  The rears probably only managed 12k but there are good reasons for that.......

I was also tempted by Dunlop SP Sport and Yokohama Blue Earth (also recommended by others on here)

Nick

Cheers guys, sounds like it would be good to go with that size, suspect it will be a change but sounds good to me if it gives same RR as factory spec.

Yes I was trying to decide between Yokohama Blue Earth, Toyo NanoEnergy 3 or The Falken SN832 (tempted by the wet grip rating as you say Nick and I've got Falkens on my modern which I'm very happy with). hmmmm

Cheers for your input guys.

Back to the OP, the fact no profile ratio AND they are SR rated would suggest the tyres are VERY old, possibly 20!

I have got Goodyears on the MX5 (185 60 14) and Falken on my spit (185 60 13) both of which are good. The Falkens had a good level of grip when I did a trackday at Donningtoon, and there were showers so a good test.
I am sure many scoff at the wet grip ratings, but they do have some bearing to how good a tyre is when you rely on it most, so chose something A or B rated would be my suggestion. The Falken 832 seem to be excellent value... (£30 a corner plus fitting)

Clive, yes I have a feeling they are quite old. Not in too bad shape but I'd feel more comfortable with something fresh on there in all weathers again.

Torn between the Yokohama and Falkens. Falkens don't have good fuel economy but would be better in the wet. No idea on the real life difference between the ratings.

Cheers guys, been very helpful. Either will be better than what's there I'm surr