Which front springs?

Freebird

Hi all

I found the cause of my wayward handling today - the offside front shock has snapped! I'm still going to fit the new rear spring (see other post) but will also fit new front springs while I've got it all apart.

Question is, what is the best spring rate for spirited road use with a 2.5 6 pot in a Vitesse? I seem to remember Clive recommending 440lb. And where can I get some from?

Another question, is it worth the extra cost for Spax, Gaz or even Konis when std ones are only £15.00 each? I've had Spax since I bought the car, fitted by a PO but one has expired big time.

Cheers

Glen.

Yep, mine we canleys 440lb springs, and worked a treat. Not sure if they are still available, moss do 480lb, but they may be too short and need spacers (ask me if you get stuck, I have some tr4?? ally spacers about an inch thick)
I would not consider the cheap shockers, worth the extra for Koni, though it is a big hit. Alternatively some NOS ones off th ebay? monroe etc all OK, just the new black ones that are poor.

Freebird wrote:

Quite expensive methinks. There were spax adjustables at stoneleigh for similar money.... (manvers??or was it th eparts4 group?, can't remember)
Usually NOS stuff is about £20 a pair or something.......

If you want some std vitesse springs I have a pair here you are welcome to. even if just a temp measure.

Apologies, I misread your OP and thought spring had snapped :B
Hmm, I have my 480lb springs on adjustable seat spax's on the spit. You are welcome to borrow those for a while (A couple of months) so you can try before you fork out your heard earned etc. No spit is going anywhere for a while :'(

796 wrote:
Spirited road use, 500- 600, and adjustable seats,to get the ride height done easily,
and also can taylor the damping to suit,

600 wont be too hard, ,!!!

Marcus

Don't forget this is a Vitesse convertible, not a GT6 with a roof...... if you go too hard on the springs the chassis flexes instead.....

Nick

Wow Clive, that's a very generous offer, but I think I will spend my hard earned. It's gonna have to happen at some point, so it might as well be now. Plus I will be cringing over every pot hole as the risk of breaking your kit! I'm sure that's what cause mine to go.

Thanks again mate, you are a real star.

Glen.

Freebird wrote:
Wow Clive, that's a very generous offer, but I think I will spend my hard earned. It's gonna have to happen at some point, so it might as well be now. Plus I will be cringing over every pot hole as the risk of breaking your kit! I'm sure that's what cause mine to go.

Thanks again mate, you are a real star.

Glen.

I think I've got a spare pair of new front Spax kicking around the [s]rubbish dump[/s] Garage if you're interested in saving a few bob.

Well, I had bought new Gaz shocks and 1" lowered uprated springs (dunno the actual spring rate) from Rimmers and had them all ready to go in.

When I took the offending shock assembly off the car I found the damper rod on the Spax has come unscrewed from the top mount. It wasn't broken after all. I also found the springs on the car to be identical to the new ones - all fitted by a PO.

So I stripped both sides down, repainted ithem and loctited the damper rods into the top mounts. The other side was only finger tight too. Rimmers have taken the new stuff back, so in all it only cost me postage. Result.

I have still got the new rear spring and 1" lowering block all ready to fit, rain stopped play today. I hate it when that happens.

Glen.

Archived