Installing Front Springs, Questions

Anthony

I've got my front springs fitted to my shocks, and now I've got some questions

I've fitted a set of superflex upper bushes to my shocks, and I've noticed that whilst the upper one is held in place and under compression/tension , the bush that sits inside the spring isn't coming into contact with its metal washer on the spring plate

ie: if I turn the shock absorber upside down the inner bush can slide up and down the threaded shaft

What should I do about this?

I don't think I can just tighten the two nuts ontop of the shock, as I think I'll only end up squashing the uppermost bush

I think I have to compress the coil spring again and have another go at fitting the spring too plate

Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, is there anyway I can check what springs I have now that they're on the shocks, or will I have to remove them?

The springs were bought for me quite a while ago
I think they were bought from the TSSC and were apparently lowered and uprated

Anyone know what spec their GT6 springs were/are?

1903 wrote:
I've got my front springs fitted to my shocks, and now I've got some questions

Also, is there anyway I can check what springs I have now that they're on the shocks, or will I have to remove them?

The springs were bought for me quite a while ago
I think they were bought from the TSSC and were apparently lowered and uprated

Anyone know what spec their GT6 springs were/are?

The poundage is generally etched on the ends.....also would it not be wise to ring the TSSC?(think)

I'm struggling a wee bit to picture what you describe but it seems to me that you maybe didn't compress the spring enough?

From the bottom up you should have cup washer, bush, spring plate, bush, cup washer then the two nuts. When fitting these the spring needs to be compressed to the extent that they are essentially a loose fit and then you tighten the top nuts to compress the bushes (but be careful not to over tighten). Then release the spring from the compressor.

How did you go about putting the damper & spring assembly together?

The spring should be fully compressed so the damper can be slid all the way in, with the bottom bush making contact with both the damper and the top spring seat.
Now install the top bush, washer and nut. Tighten the nut so that everything is under tension, then fit the lock nut.

From what you describe, the spring wasn't fully compressed when the assembly began, so the top nut was tensioning the spring, rather than just the bushes,

Cheers,
Bill.

EDIT:
Seems that Bills think alike!

Thanks guys

It sounds to me like I got pretty much everything right......almost

I didn't compress the spring until the coils touched, but I thought I'd compressed it enough for the bushes to contact everything - I guess I got it wrong

I'll take them apart and give them another go now

Done

This time I compressed the springs until they bound, and them I tightened the top nut more than I did previously

I tightened the first nut until there was enough thread exposed for the lock nut to fit fully

Then it was just a case of removing the compressor

Sorted :)