Spitfire Front Springs.

nang

As previously stated I've fitted MGF wheels and 185x55x15 tyres to my Mk4. I feel that I'd like a bit more clearance between the front wheel arch and the tyres, especially on the drivers side which is about 3/4" lower. I've packed between the top of the shock and the frame 5/16"  but I consider this a temporary solution. Looks like the springs are getting tired.
Rimmers list "Uprated Springs " but on enquiry they say 280mm free length where the manual says standard springs are 319.8 mm. I'm wondering if I'm going to improve things if I fitted the uprated ones.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Tony.

I simply do not like the term "uprated" they really need to give more info eg rate and fitted length (obviously in a std car!)
Moss sell springs in a few flavours, but they all tend to be higher poundage AND shorter fitted length. They also supply spacers, small ones to fit on top of the shock top plate, larger ones for between spring and shocker. That enables you to achieve various ride heights if you don't have adjustable spring seats (like me, Koni's)

Spacer blocks are your best bet. I'm 21 stone and my spitfire use to sit lower on the drivers side because this is the side always in use. So to level it out I bought a 1cm alloy spacer for the drivers side and it cured the lean. Other option is as clifty says, is to buy adjustable spring seats.

Chris.

The standard spit 1500 have a free length 13.2" compressed length of 8" rated at 180lbs
The standard earlier spit have a free length 12.2" compressed length of 7.5" rated at 150lbs

Stiffer springs of 480lbs/320lbs have a free length of 9"/11" and both compressed length of 7.5"

Might help you out Tony, all measurements taken from my own 1500 spit with the different springs fitted.
Sorted the ride height out by some s/hand fully adjustable shocks, alot easier in the long run