GT6 front springs

npanne

Okay, I've spent an hour or so searching the forum for this, but with so many variables I don't ever convince myself that I've got the right answer, so:

What are the best springs (length and rating) to fit to a GT6 when using Spax dampers?

Any recommended suppliers would be great, but I can find this for myself if need be, I just need to know what I'm looking for.

Also, can anyone confirm the diameter of spring, I read somewhere that they are 2.5" - is this correct?

Very difficult to answer. I used the kipping/canley 440lb springs on my vitesse, and to get the ideal ride height needed 10mm spacers (vitesse a tad heavier). From memory they were 8" fitted length. The strength of spring was excellent for a "sporty" road car, not uncomfortable but no wallow.
Sadly I don't think they are still available. I use the moss/TT 480lb ones on the spitfire, but have adjustable height dampers. It can all be a bit hit and miss, checking the spring seat pan height from the bottom bolt centre distance is an essential measurement.

BTW you should do the stoneleigh thing, some excellent "show specials" available.....

I use the Triumphtune 330lb ones which is what TT recommend for fast road use. BTW Moss Triumphtune seemed to be about the best value for springs when I got mine a year or two back, I have heard on the grapevine that they have them manufactured and supply most of the springs to the rest of the trade, not sure if this is true or not.

cliftyhanger wrote:
...checking the spring seat pan height from the bottom bolt centre distance is an essential measurement.

I make it 73mm - but I have no idea what is standard?

cliftyhanger wrote:
BTW you should do the stoneleigh thing, some excellent "show specials" available.....

Was toying with the idea, but with newborn baby, think I would be strung up for suggesting that I went out for the day - maybe 2012.

npanne wrote:

I make it 73mm - but I have no idea what is standard?

Was toying with the idea, but with newborn baby, think I would be strung up for suggesting that I went out for the day - maybe 2012.

83mm more like it.  Check out this posting:
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1294161540/s-23/#num23

Cheers-

Archived