Lowered rear springs

Davemate

I've been told that lowered rear springs can "fall out" when on full travel, what's the trick to stop it or is it something you just have to live with.
I presume it only happens when you jack the car up or go "jumping " on stage rally's  or can it happen on the road !

1344 wrote:
I've been told that lowered rear springs can "fall out" when on full travel, what's the trick to stop it or is it something you just have to live with.
I presume it only happens when you jack the car up or go "jumping " on stage rally's  or can it happen on the road !

Really? never had that problem. Don't know anyone that has either.  :-/

It can happen and mot testers don't like it when they jack the rear up and the springs loose in its seating !
Latest generation Witor fast road springs sold over the last couple of years or so are longer to get round the problem . Still worth checking though on "full droop" .

When I fitted CW lowered rear springs to the back of the Mk1 saloon back in 1991 and used it for about 6 years I don't seem to remember there ever being issues with the springs lifting of the platforms when jacked up.  Or perhaps the MOT guys or I did not notice ...... ::)

MUT

My rear springs always drop out the top mount when you jack the car up and the re seat on a weird angle, I've got quite adept at putting them back. CW 1" lower.

No problems when in rally use and on terra firma .

However, Andy Thompson has a neat fix which is a cone welded into the centre of the top mount so the spring can't drop out and is guided back into position. Something I will get round to one day.

Cheers
Dazzer