As to the diff covered in oil and grease, it's not necessarily bad, but it can be a self-perpetuating and self-worsening problem. Inevitably, all sorts of grime can built up, sometimes to the point where it blocks the vent. Once that vent is blocked, pressure build-up inside the diff can force gear oil out past the various seals, making things yet worse!  :(But often as not, cleaning off that vent will slow or even stop any such leaking!  :)

I removed a couple of leaves from mine. It was a brand new saloon spring in my coupe and it was sitting too high. This was before the lowering blocks were available and John Kipping suggested removing a leaf or 2.
It's fine in my coupe, she sits well and handles well. Might be different in a saloon or convertible if you have passengers in the back though.

7183 wrote:

should get one on ebay somewhere but I think rimmer do them for about 15 quid plus vat.

fraid not, £34 plus postage now, hence I'm still looking for a secondhand 1/2" or 3/4" to experiment with spring height on the rally car.

Thanks to sparkyspit I have a 1" so if all else fails, I'll see if i can find someone to machine it