New rear spring - settlage and handling

yorkshire_spam

Is there a lowering block installed now ?

I have put a new spring in when i rebuild mine (bought at rimmers at the time).
Put a lowering block from 1/2" i believe it was in and it was already a lot better.

After now 20.000 miles the wheels are sitting straight & actually the top of the wheels are pointing in a bit (don't now if this was negative or positive ..  :B ).

ps, or a 1" lowering block you will need longer studs & another cover (think jigsaw or rarebits sells these) as the studs & co are a bit long !

6797 wrote:
No lowering block at the moment, handling is terrible in the corners, it sits a lot higher with the new spring.
I guess the old spring gave good ride height and handling, but not much in the way of "spring"!

Will try and take a pic of mine tomorrow of how it sits & co
Or do have a look on my fb.

When i first started to drive her she was a 'bit' tail happy, now it seems to be a lot better.

If you have changed the spring you should check the rear toe in

formthis you load both seats with 150lbs or add people,

toe should be around   0  to  3mm max    toe in

two straight  egdes and a tape measure across  will give you a good result

stick a long straight plank against the tyre above the load bulge and sight down the sill line
if axle is square both sides should look the same  degree of parallel to the body line
pete

If the wheel alignment hasn't been done since you changed the spring, it will likely have toe-out, making the handling unstable.

As for driving it and seeing if the spring will settle - if it's a good spring it shouldn't settle much. If it does, it hasn't been tempered properly. And in the meantime, is the handling safe? I'd throw in a 3/4" or 1" block and get the wheels aligned. If it does settle over the next year then you can substitute a thinner block, and probably sell the old one here.

Just checked - my GT6 sits with 57cm from the ground to the tops of the rear wheel arches. That's a good height.

Final tighten was with car on the deck.
I'll loosen off and retighten though just to make sure I hadn't got em too tight with it up in the air.
Car drives fine, but back end feels a lot friskier in corners, used to drive like it was on rails!
Will see about alignment once I decide whether or not it's getting a lowering block.
Cheers, Sam

When I fitted a new courier spring to my herald estate a few years ago, it sat silly high for a few days. However, when I loaded approx 300kg of floor tiles in the back, and drove home over a few speed humps (gently!!) the car had moved down to its correct height and sat there.
Alignment is easy enough, 2 bricks, 2x1m approx long bits of straight wood or steel, and a tape measure......