GT6/SPIT REAR SPRING

lexi

Firstly, hello from a proud owner of a tatty gt6/spitfire. I need some advice, my car is a hodge podge of various Triumphs. Its got a Mk III spitfire body, with a Mk I Gt6 bonnet. a Mk II gt6 engine/ box and rotoflex rear suspension. My dilemma is i have bought (mistakenly) a Mk II Gt6 rear spring- believing i had this arrangement  at the back. On removing the old spring i find that the spring itself is from a MkIII Gt6, my question is can i still use the MkII spring? The arc of the spring is higher (the MkIII spring is flatter, but may have sagged over time) and how will this affect the geometry. I can cobble up replacement clamping plates etc, would a lowering block help? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi you  can  use the swing spring, BUT you need to doo some mods to the front to stiffen it up
stiffer springs and the thcker roll bar, or as i did, used two, and one on the back too
the rear wheels on full droop will give moer positive camber, cos the spring no curves round as much as a rot one, so no pulling the top link in to give neg camber,or so so.
also the negative on full bump will be less

to get rid of it ,you need to limit the travel of the spring, the roll bar effectively does this.

as standard the swinger is stiffer, in two wheel bump,
if actually set up ok, then its no too bad, but iITS no as good on bumpy roads due to wheel camber shift, toe in/out shift,and limited travel [ if you fit a rear bar ]
but on smooth roads its ok
if got sticky tyres on, it can be felt to ..turn over a bit into corners.. as spring rocks.

or you can put another leaf inbetween the bottom spring leaves, to make it non swing,
but this also is limited  by above apart frae ..roll over in corners..

relly best bet if you want a bit moer predictable handling !! is fit the roto spring

Note, new roto spring , will be making car sit well high,I just bunged one on, and with a 1 inch spacer,its still well up, hope it settles in time.

Archived