wonky rear spring

Toby

Hi all - the rear spring on my Mk IV Spitfire is a bit lop-sided. It is quite noticeably lower on the drivers side. I assume this is just from age and being unevenly loaded?

Anyway - I'm looking for a replacement and would like to have a bit of negative camber at the rear. I notice that Moss do 'updated' springs that they state are 1" lower than standard. Has anybody any experience with these?

Or am I better to get a standard spring and a lowering block?

Toby,
It's almost common for elderly Spits to have a lop sided stance.  There are many causes - don't forget the front antiroll bar as one - but you say that the spring is lopsided.   That puts a broken leaf into the equation, so it does need urgent investigation.

I know nothing about the Moss spring, but a spring that rides lower has to be stiffer, or you risk grounding.   Same applies to lowering a standard spring with a block.  Are you prepared for the harder ride?
A stiffer spring also means that the suspension moves less for a given input.  As a swing axle (swing spring or not) incurs a lot of camber change as it goes up and down, this is an added advantage.

Moss are not the only fruit if you want a stiffer spring.  The Courier van spring has been used, and Canleys sold some reproduction van springs that were popular - I don't know if they still have any.   Or, there are spring makers who will re-temper your old, I hope undamaged, spring.  EG: http://www.rossroadsprings.co.uk/Main%20frame%20page.htm

John

A potential problem with the lowering blocks is the spring can hit the underside of the tunnel. It obviously doesn't always happen as many people use them but it did on my 1500 Spit.
Another place that can re-temper & lower your spring is Brost Forge in London.

Archived