Leaf Spring Thrust Buttons

midgeman

I have just stripped and cleaned the rear spring on the 13/60, before putting it back together I made new buttons and am now wondering if the rubber is too hard as when I came to fit it back on the car I had one hell of a game. I made up a spring lifter but even with this tool it was impossible to lift the spring by hand to get the spring eye bolts into the uprights I had to resort to using a trolley jack under the lifter surely this cannot be right.

I made sure that before I stripped the spring I marked each leaf so I know it went back exactly as it came apart.

Is it essential that buttons are fitted as I am thinking that maybe the new ones are stopping the leaves sliding over each other.

Any thoughts on this one.

i`m going to be shot down by people, but years ago when i used to make spring we wouldn`t have been bothered to fit them all they  really do is help stop wear on the metal where the leafs touch, but it takes years of rubbing to do this
When you look at spring from most cars alot don`t use anything like them

cheers andy

midgeman - you *made* new rubber buttons? Did you mould them or ... ?

Certainly it is a hell of a job putting the spring back together. I had to use a hydraulic press for the Spit spring. Don't forget, all those fresh new buttons are adding to the height you have to compress. If they're just 1mm thicker, that's 10mm extra for an 11-leaf spring!

Richard

Archived