rear leaf spring - which side is front?

Jazzman

Gents,

I have just install a swing spring conversion from Canley in my spitfire mk3. Unfortunately I just read the spring is not symmetric, and the spring must be mounted facing the correct direction!

Which side is supposed to look forward? Both look pretty much the same!

Any ideas?  ::)

thanks in advance!

right, the main leaf which has the 'eyes' on the end containing the rubber bushes should have a 'ground' edge to it,ie a machined flat shiny section in the middle which registers against the rebate in the top of the diff case.
you may have to look carefully it may be covered in grease or paint? :)

The last new spring I fitted came with the word 'front' stamped on it, but facing away from the edge it was stamped on. Consequently I had a lot of debate - either I fitted the word to the front, which meant it was facing the rear, or fitted it so as to be read from the front, in which case it was stamped along the rear edge. Decisions, decisions...eventually I fitted it with the stamping to the front as I couldn't read it once it was fitted anyway. ;D

OR,
The spring has no 'Front'!

Some OE springs had a tag on one of the light clamps holding the leaves together, that said "Front".
Legend has it that this was there because of delays on the assembly line, as workers asked the same question.
Rather than trying to convince them that it could go either way, the Management put the tags on.

Simples!

John

Is it possible to tell without dismantling the whole kit again?  :o

I have attached two photos of the spring before I mounted it.I don't know if it is possible to tell by checking them... I believe that the side side that is shown in the pictures points front n the car now...

Makes no difference which way round it is fitted.  Looked all over the place on my new spring for any identification and found none at all.  Eventually read all the archive material on here, TSSC, and Sideways websites, which led me to beleve there was no right or wrong way round.  Fitted it, and it works a treat!

Just add it to the list of Old Wives Tales, along with different oils for dashpots!

This question has been asked (and answered) many times before. Some rear springs were fitted in production to a 'driver only condition' (most of the time cars are driven with no passengers). These springs are 'weighted' to the drivers side, and have a tag marked 'FRONT' to indicate which way round they fit.

Most if not all replacement springs manufactured subsequently are not 'weighted' one way or another and hence it does not matter which way round it is fitted. If it doesn't have a tag then it matters not which way round it is fitted.

If it does have a tag then it's old, and any bias has by now been lost so it matters not which way round it is fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Slimboyfat wrote:
This question has been asked (and answered) many times before. Some rear springs were fitted in production to a 'driver only condition' (most of the time cars are driven with no passengers). These springs are 'weighted' to the drivers side, and have a tag marked 'FRONT' to indicate which way round they fit.

Ihave also heard of Spitfires being fitted by US dealers with a spacer under the front spring on the drivers side, for a similar effect.  Don't know if this has anything to do with the traditionally 'weight challenged' US driver. but it's certainly one that would be needed here nowadays.

JOhn

I don't know about the other cars, but the LF spring spacer is in the factory parts manual for the Mk3 GT6 as factory construction for LHS cars.

AHA A FLAW IN MR. SLIMBOY'S THEORY REGARDING THIS AGELESS MYSTERY:

Quote:
These springs are 'weighted' to the drivers side, and have a tag marked 'FRONT' to indicate which way round they fit.

They are indeed tagged or stamped "FRONT", but there is only one part number for the springs, regardless of LHS or RHS!

Top:  OEM rotoflex spring; Bottom:  factory swing spring

rotoflex wrote:

AHA A FLAW IN MR. SLIMBOY'S THEORY REGARDING THIS AGELESS MYSTERY:

Not my theory! The bloke (or one of the blokes) who designed the Herald rear suspension told me that when he was up here dropping off some original Triumph engineering blue prints many years ago.

Archived