Which leaf spring for Gt6 swing spring conversion?

Paudman

What's the opinion of the best leaf spring to get for converting an early Gt6 to rear swing spring?
This would be a short-shaft car, so possibly the currently available springs for the late Mk3's would be too long, but the only currently available short-shaft springs are for Spitfires and so may be too light for the Gt6.
Rimmers are selling a 20% uprated version for the Spitfire iv and early 1500.
Any thoughts or recommendations before I commit to buy?

I'm also planning on swapping the fixed for a swing on my mk1 and I reckoned the best bet would be the Canley's swing spring conversion specifically for the mk1 GT6, I assumed they've selected the best spring available but have no experience of it yet.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Problem is, they don't say what it is... and they have a number of springs for sale separately, in most cases around £30 more expensive than other suppliers.. I have the rest of the kit and only need a new spring but i'd need to know what makes theirs so much more expensive.

I've been having a long running issue with a rear swing spring mk3 from rimmers for about 6 months they cann't get the right spring rate and the rear of my car still rubs on the wheel arches when heavierly loaded and speed bumps rear their head. To be fair they refunded my and left me with two springs to try and botch together. Seeing as they get their's from cannely classics I don't know where you could get the right spring from but some of these repro's are just not up to spec.

I've had a few excuses and much dithering from suppliers but no-one will commit and say "yes we have the correct spring and will stand over it."
Advice like "try this one and see how it handles" is a bit too vague for me...
Paddocks were one of the ones I hadn't tried yet...

Bodsgt6 wrote:
James Paddock seem to know their stuff, i think its just the mk1v spitfire swing sping , paddocks were considerably cheaper and i have fitted it with no probs as yet.

Paddocks didn't even suggest a spring, they just suggested rerouting the brakes.
Back to square one.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo of the problem - see how the more recent version of the rear leaf spring has a huge eye, and the older version has much smaller which clears the brake cylinder by almost an inch?
Anyone have a 1300 rear leaf spring and can measure how it compares with the long axle 1500 version? The Gt6 is currently off road until I either find a proper spring or revert to the original fixed version.
Colin

Who is that one from? (which supplier?)
Is that for short or long axles? I can't make out the length but it looks tighter at the ends than my current one which is causing all the bother, and closer to the original fixed-spring style.
Colin

Archived