birchy

Hi All
Not posted for a while, but I am in need of some advice. My rear offside wheel bearing was picked up as having a slight grumble on the last MOT. So on Saturday with new bearing kit in hand I tried to change it. Didn’t get far my hub puller was not up to the job even when I applied heat. In my workshop manual there is picture of a hub puller designed for a Vitesse. Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on one?

Thanks Paul

Depends if you want to buy or borrow.
Can recommend getting involved with a local Triuph club, members often have hub pullers etc they are willing to lend out.....

There is something else that ought to be mentioned. As the bearing is under tension, it is often difficult to detect wear until it is too ate. The bearings run directly on the half shaft (assuming it is a non-rotoflex version) and if th ebearings are bad, it usually means the halfshaft is scrap too. Bare that in mind and it may get nasty once all apart. At which point you think about either a good sh unit, or an exchange part. Just be warned!

Birchy
You need to use the churchill or similar puller, nothing else will do, you'll need a pair of 3 foot stilsons to wind it up, if it doesn't pop hit the puller with a number 3 thor but don't stand next to the shaft or it'll break your ribs when it flies out, should have said the puller needs to be in a big vice, when you rebuild fit the bearings and seals to the carrier, the whole thing is then wound onto the shaft to a torque setting NOT a distance, one more thing, make sure you get the lip seal the right (wrong) way round, it's purpose is to keep grease in NOT dirt out.
PS check trunions and UJs at the same time you dont want to have to pull it  out again, I think i remembered that all correctly.

Marc

Archived