Removing the bearings in the front wheel hub??

GT6_Alex

To get one sides race out, you should be able to see a "slot" on the inner side, that you can get a punch on from the opposite side to the race you want out, and tap it out. If that makes any sense?

Will help to clean a lot of the crap out first so you can see ;)

on refit fully pack grease the new races,do not fill the hub cavity this is not specified and waste of grease and traps heat
which can lead to later failure ,  

make sure you put the felt seal in with the cup in the hub and the felt pressing against the stub .

tighten the castle nut to a light fingered nip and back off one or two flats
the endfloat is 0.002 to 0.008"  this will give upto 3mm rock at the wheel rim.  never, never do it up tight

pete

Needless to say somewhat off thread but interesting occurence that happened to me in Central Australia.

Driving along in my Toyota Land Cruiser, dirt road middle-of-no-where, two car loads of aborigines (close to twenty people!) sitting on the side of the road cooking a kangaroo. They waved me down and asked if I had a front wheel bearing for a Valiant (the Valiant had been towing a Holden when its bearing had failed). Needless to say I didn't, but suggested trying the wheel bearing from the Holden and if they drove about 5 kilometres down the road there was a Valiant wreck. That was considered too hard and they went back to their lunch and waved me goodbye.

Five kilometres later I arrived at the Valiant, but alas, no front wheel bearings left. I carried on for about another twenty kilometres to another wrecked Valiant, removed the wheel bearing, washer, nut, split-pin and a good hand full of grease - wrapped it all up neatly in a piece of grease proof paper (laying in the back of the Valiant, obviously waiting for me to come along) and sat it on the top of my dashboard, then carried on.

About another ten kilometres and I waved down a Hilux with some more aborigines in it (actually the first car I had seen since leaving the first lot) gave them the bearing and said they would need it later down the road.

About two months later in a community approximately 100 kilometres from the first point of contact I was approached by an aboriginal man who said, "You good man, you wheel bearing man."      

Sorry it was a long one - consider it a trifling detour from what you were doing. You may continue now.    ::)

Archived