1963 TR3B Rear Wheel Hub

rljt60

I am working on my friend's recently acquired mint condition 1963 TR3B, ID:  TCF1193L, with 9k miles original miles.  It has been sitting in a cllmatized environment 20+ years so rust is not an issue.  I am trying to remove the left rear (driver's side) wheel hub.  It is supposed to be a tapered, non-splined axle with a key.  I can say for sure it is not splined because there are no splines at the end of the axle shaft where it meets with the hub.  It does have a key.  I removed the brake shoes, axle nut and washer.  Then I used a "two stud" puller and tried to pull the hub off.  With a lot (and I mean lot) of pressure turning the center bolt on the puller, I have managed to pull the hub about 1/8 inch off the axle but just cannot get it to come any further.  The key slid out equal with the hub.  A slight tap on the key shows it is not froze to the hub as it will start to slide back onto the axle.  Is there a secret to pulling the hub off other than just brute force?  Much more force and I am afraid I am going to warp the hub.

And while I am here, are there any special secrets for replacing the inner shaft oil seal?

Many thanks for any help you can offer, Clark in Austin, TX

Andy,
     Many thanks for the info.  Actually, we got it off the next day with as you say a 20 ton press.  But we had to further persuade it with a torch.  When it went POW!! we jumped a good 3 feet.  Also, we have asked Moss to include the press info in their catalog to try and prevent others the same broken nuckles.
Thanks again,
Bill

Archived