Rear hub puller tool - GT6 - Bath area

Sam C

Sorry to ask all, but here goes:

I'm likely to need to take my rear hubs off this weekend. A friend is offering to lend the 'claw type' and local garage may have some other sorts of 'universal types' I can borrow. However, I gather from other threads that it would probably be sensible to use the 'proper tool' if possible.

They're so expensive, so I wonder if there's anyone in the Bath / Bristol area (I'm Bath) that might be able to lend me that tool (i.e. hub puller specifically for GT6 - and presumably some other triumphs)? Very happy to buy them some beers or something in return.

As I say: I may not need it, but I'm just trying to tee things up as best I can since I'm up against some time deadlines here (got a show coming up that I really want my car MOT'd for).

Thanks anyone that can help!

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,
          I have the hub puller you are after but i'm in scotland. I'm happy to post it to you if you paypal me the postage cost but beware!!! You break it you buy me another one!!! You loose any bits from it you buy me another one!!! Also if you choose to lend it, read the instructions FULLY and obay the rules. I'll Pm you my number so you can call me.

Chris.

Chris that's really kind of you thank you.

I've just collected a selection of different hub pullers from the garage. I'm going to try that and see how I get on. I may well take you up on your offer though if / when it all goes wrong!

And by the way: the garage also said it's a mistake to hit the bolt on these things - as you warned in a different thread - it's all about shocking the hub apparently, as you said.

Cheers

Sam_C wrote:
Chris that's really kind of you thank you.

I've just collected a selection of different hub pullers from the garage. I'm going to try that and see how I get on. I may well take you up on your offer though if / when it all goes wrong!

And by the way: the garage also said it's a mistake to hit the bolt on these things - as you warned in a different thread - it's all about shocking the hub apparently, as you said.

Cheers

a) never use a legged puller only the `proper` bolt on type(you will bend the flange and then need to buy a new one)
b) "never hit the bolt".....?.

.......twaddle !

Got the hub off fine on one side - using a sort of 'heavy duty' two armed claw - and am confident the other side will come off too. So it's all good and I no longer need to borrow a hub puller.

My position's a bit different to most because I'm going to replace the outer hub assemblies anyway: so less concerned about damaging them.

I think the warning about whacking the bolt was really just about the risk of damaging either the bolt in the hub puller or the threads at the end of the drive shaft. Probably valid concerns.

Horses for courses and all that but the technique which the garage recommended, which was 'whack the hub' did work a treat. I was at a loss for what to do once I'd put as much pressure as I could on the hub puller, but a good solid whack at about 45 degrees on the hub and off she flew!

If I'm honest I have memories from years ago of whacking the crap out of a bolt on what I think was a puller tool for something to do with the clutch on a mini - and that did it in the end!

Cheers