GT6MK3 rear hub puller

GT6MK3

What makes it so hard John?  The Churchill style puller makes relatively easy, the big help is a decent rattle gun.  Last set I did by hand ,were a right pain, did them with hand tools and a long breaking bar, everything kept rotating and lifting, I ended up with sacrificial spanners on the diff bolts, a mate sitting in the boot,  and all sorts of malarkey.

Did the drivers side with an air gun, convinced me how much I needed a decent battery rattler for future unbolting use.  

Proved itself worthwhile on the pax side, no fuss, whirr, and it's off, after almost a year of being torqued to spec.

C.

1248 wrote:
What makes it so hard John?  The Churchill style puller makes relatively easy, the big help is a decent rattle gun.  Last set I did by hand ,were a right pain, did them with hand tools and a long breaking bar, everything kept rotating and lifting, I ended up with sacrificial spanners on the diff bolts, a mate sitting in the boot,  and all sorts of malarkey.

Did the drivers side with an air gun, convinced me how much I needed a decent battery rattler for future unbolting use.  

Proved itself worthwhile on the pax side, no fuss, whirr, and it's off, after almost a year of being torqued to spec.

C.

Well, I was using the proper Churchill tool, the hub was locked by a bar welded to a rectangular plate drilled to suit the wheel studs and I used a cracker bar on the socket spanner. I reached the point where even with the cracker I couln't turn it any more without fear of breaking something. I checked with my torque wrench and it was off the scale. In the end, as the only reason to remove it was to get the backplates powder coated I decided to give up and resort to a wire brush and paint.

I reckon the fact they have only been bolted up for less than a year has helped. A lot.
As John has said, some are scary tight, with the Churchill tool you cant leave the nut on, and they really can fly apart when they go.
Still, at least rotoflex is a easier :)

Good vid clip,well done

Note you got the auto adjusters on.  I had those on once, and found that  a hole in the drum was needed
so as to ..unwind.. the adjusters, to get the drums off if the shoes  wear the drum away, and they
cant come past the lip. :-/  

And the way the vid started, its very very like the sound of the Prisoner. did you know,!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PhnTMxHOWlY

Archived