dazzer

Hi Guys

Couple of pictures of the Quaife uprated hubs, if anyone wondered what they looked like and how they differ from the originals.

Just having the axle shafts rebuilt with a yoke on the hub end to accommodate the new hub. They even have a cut out to enable the new wheel studs to be fitted without dismantling the hub.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Guys

No not CVs and not cheap, on both counts. They actually use Ford Granada/Cosworth bearings and the shaft is completely encased to stop it flexing and fracturing under extreme use.

Probably cost five times the price of a standard hub... but then they are very shiny.

They basically keep the wheels on the car and give you peace of mind.

Nothing wrong with Triumph standard hubs on the road... although some of the modern exchange units are far from satisfactory.

Cheers

Darren

You will need to cut flats on the alloy as per Triumph to fit to a saloon.... I have told Mr Vessey this but he doesn't seem to bother  :-/

You will also find that when fitting to a driveshaft the yoke flanges come in two sizes... one that fits nicely into the "pot" and one that is slightly too big. I use cap head 3/8" UNF bolts loctited into the hub to hold the flange outer on. They need slight filing to fit through the backplate and trailing arm nicely. I will post a photo later.

dazzer,

if they use ford bearings why not use ford hubs etc,ok,will need some modifying but cheap as chips to buy.

looking at the first picture the hub flange looks very much like a modified ford style unit,the nylock nut and washer are the same.
plus would need an adaptor plate to enable a uj fitment. :)

Hi Andy

Not fitted them as yet but yes different studs supplied by Dennis Vessey. I can see now that the flats would be required to clear the return springs on the brake shoes?

I think this would also apply to TRs unless they have recessed back plates. The TRs, or at least the 4a has flats on the hub body as well. I wonder if different return springs might work...?

You've probably been through this excersise already Andy.

I'll get down to the car and have a mess tomorrow.

Cheers

Darrren

I just cut two flats with a hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file, 20min job. I'm not sure if you need to do that on a TR6 and hence maybe  why Dennis didn't bother machining them to fit a saloon.
Bit annoying but not the end of the world... you'd think for the price he would modify them to fit saloons .. he has had feedback but said he wasn't going to change them :-/

lagerzok wrote:

Bit annoying but not the end of the world... you'd think for the price he would modify them to fit saloons .. he has had feedback but said he wasn't going to change them :-/

I called in at Dennis's today, and had a word with him about the hubs. I couldn't make too much of him, but in fairness to him, he has fallen off his pushbike and didn't look too good to me. ( He only took the stabilizers off two days ago  ;D ) So i spoke to Duncan Campbell who assembles the hubs before they are sent out, he wasn't aware of the problem as they were ment for the TR6 which has a different handbrake arrangement. So Andy, if you could e-mail Duncan with a bit more info about the problem and maybe some photos, Duncan said he could machine the hubs pre assembly. I will send you a PM with Duncans e-mail address.

neil collingwood

ncoll wrote:

I called in at Dennis's today, and had a word with him about the hubs. I couldn't make too much of him, but in fairness to him, he has fallen off his pushbike and didn't look too good to me. ( He only took the stabilizers off two days ago  ;D ) So i spoke to Duncan Campbell who assembles the hubs before they are sent out, he wasn't aware of the problem as they were ment for the TR6 which has a different handbrake arrangement. So Andy, if you could e-mail Duncan with a bit more info about the problem and maybe some photos, Duncan said he could machine the hubs pre assembly. I will send you a PM with Duncans e-mail address.

neil collingwood

Thanks Neil , I get some photo's to him ASAP. I guessed that a TR must be different otherwise their would have been more feedback. Those hubs cost as much as a half decent saloon so not many people use them LOL although there must be a market for Stag owners paranoid of loosing a wheel  ;) and they would have a similar installation problem

Archived