John Addy

Hi everybody. Thanks for all the very useful info regarding my front brake problems. But now for a new one. I need to remove the rear hubs to fit longer wheel stubs. My rear diff if from a Subaru with modified suspension - upper and lower wishbones plus adjustable shocks. The hubs I think are Triumph as are the driveshafts?? Anyway I'm hoping to remove the hub with a conventional 3 leg puller as the hub flange is round (not square). My question is are the hub nuts/threads handed as they are on a lot of British cars?
As you see my car is a "bitsa". 2.5PI engine, Toyota Celica gearbox and Subaru rear diff. I bought it in a part built state which II'm now trying to complete, mainly for road use but may take it on the track in the future. Cheers John

Three legged puller is not a good idea. The hubs will be on a taper and very tight. It's too easy to bend the hub this way. you need a proper removal tool which is a flat plate which bolts on. You can probably borrow or hire one.
Can you not drill a hole in the back plate in line with a stud and drive the old one's out that way and replace with the new one's the same way.Then fit a rubber grommet to blank the hole off. Hub nuts are all right handed.
Tony.

Answer depends heavily on which bits are actually used in your rear suspension.  If it's based on the rotoflex rear end than a good 3 legged puller will suffice.  If based on swing axle then you'll need the proper "flying saucer" puller.  Could even be non-Triumph origina by the sounds though...... pics would help!

Nick

Thanks for your replies. Firstly Tony, I live in Tauranga, North Island NZ (email is johnboaddy@yahoo.co.nz) and yes I think a hole in the back plate may be the way to go. I tried tentatively to use the 3 legged puller, but that only pushed the drive shaft inwards. As you all say the hub would appear to be a very tight fit. I'll try to post a picture to demonstrate.