Ron

Hi, my Vitesse project stood for 5 years before I bought it. The caliper pistons are pretty solidly stuck! I put some compressed air on the one and it popped out one piston. Of course now the air seal has been broken air is no good for releasing the other one. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried using a chisel/small screwdriver against the outer seal lip and it's moved a little but I'm running out of metal and then I'll be well and truly stuck!!

Cheers,

Ron

PS. Saw some great Triumphs at the NEC yesterday and put my hand in my pocket to join the club!

1156 wrote:
Hi, my Vitesse project stood for 5 years before I bought it. The caliper pistons are pretty solidly stuck! I put some compressed air on the one and it popped out one piston. Of course now the air seal has been broken air is no good for releasing the other one. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried using a chisel/small screwdriver against the outer seal lip and it's moved a little but I'm running out of metal and then I'll be well and truly stuck!!

Put the removed piston back in - well lubricated of course, and ensure it moves freely, then restrain it from moving, use the air again to release the other piston. The already freed piston should then be easily removed

mike

brake hydraulic pressures are up in the 1000 to 2000psi  so a compressor with 90 -100 psi wont do the job as if on the car,  
one old method was to fit a grease nipple to the feed port and pump it out with a high pressure Wanner grease gun    just strip and clean it well afterwards    Pete

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the club. I am a motorcycle mechanic and this is a really common problem on motorcycles (salt and aluminum don't get on), try all of the above but if it is really stubborn use a paint stripping gun to warm the piston and caliper up and then try blowing it out (don't forget to put the other piston back in first).
regards
Doctee

Archived