tiggrr1

To cut a long story short I bought some new brake calipers for my GT6 at the international spares day last weekend.
Or I thought I had, they were labeled for at GT6 and at first glance I thought they were.
Upon getting them home they clearly are not :(

After a bit of looking on the internet I found a picture on the Rimmers website that looks like them to me. (first pic)

The rest are photos I have just taken of what I have, If the Rimmers photo is correct then I'm thinking that I have a
pair of new TR8 front calipers.

So three questions really, are they TR8 calipers?  are they worth anything?  or common as muck?

Steve, if they are TR8 calipers they won't be common as muck.

But on the other hand, anyone uprating TR7 frnt brakes will go straight past TR8 stuff anyway to vented discs and bigger calipers :-/

At the next P&P meeting if you want to pop up to my house there'll be a TR7 or two you can check them out on for reference ;)

Raider wrote:
Steve, if they are TR8 calipers they won't be common as muck.

But on the other hand, anyone uprating TR7 frnt brakes will go straight past TR8 stuff anyway to vented discs and bigger calipers :-/

That is what I thought may be the case Martin, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

thescrapman wrote:
measure the spacing of the mounting lugs.

TR8 will be same as spitfire, GT6 will be wider.

Cheers

Colin

I'll take one of the calipers off my GT6 tomorrow and see how the spacing of the mounting lugs looks.
If they are smaller I'll then have to compare them to Gaz's (uksnatchers) spitfire ones.
Thanks for the info.

Thanks Theo

I have tried to replicate the angle of your picture and it seems to me that they are different :-/

Mine have a straight edge where the pad retaining bolts go and behind the piston it looks like the pads sit against a curved edge.

So I don't think they are M16 Calipers.

Also yours appear to be spaced for vented discs?

thescrapman wrote:
measure the spacing of the mounting lugs.

TR8 will be same as spitfire, GT6 will be wider.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin,

It would seem that they are indeed TR8 items they are a perfect fit on a Spitfire upright & hub (inc disc).

Also thanks to Gaz for reminding me that I had one of his uprights in my garage to try it on (good job one of has more than 2 brain cells to rub together Gaz  ;) )

Hi.

They are absolutely, completely, definitely, not TR8.

These are TR8 calipers:

Sorry - it's the only photo I have at the minute. The 'rear' half of the caliper in this photo is bolted to the carier with two bolts which is another identifying feature.

Without going and digging out my Ford calipers, I'm with Theo on this - they look like the 2.8 Capri items.

Shaun.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.

I revisited Rimmers website and took another look at the TR8 section, calipers that look like yours they have listed as reconditioned TR8.
The picture I first put up they had as  "Brake Caliper Original TR8 - 2 pot LH" part number AAU7961    

After much trawling of the internet I'm certain that they are infact Rover SD1 items and I will be selling them on as they are of no use to me.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to work out what they were from  :)

Archived