Thread gone on Caliper Bleed Screw

JP

1972 Spitfire MkIV

Whilst bleeding my brakes after a bit of a rebuild of the car I found my bleed screw on the caliper  keep turning and turning when tightening.

On closer inspection the thread is shot on the caliper as well as the bleed screw :(

Any ideas if I can fix these? re-tap with a bigger thread and new bleed nipple perhaps? though finding a bleed nipple with the crazy long reach of these babies could prove quite a task as they are twice the length of some porsche ones I had kicking around.

Am reluctant to junk the caliper as other than this it works well re pistons and fitted new rubbers.

Any advice greatly received.

Unfortunately you require their special tap and their inserting tool as well. Sold as a kit.
There are other brands that are satisfactory and may be cheaper.  Re-Coil is one, probably others. Try something like "thread repair" on Google.

They are quite easy to use.

Possibly someone could loan you the tap and inserting tool so you would only have to purchase the inserts and give the spares to whoever loaned you the gear.

Trouble is you've got to get it dead straight so that the taper on the bleed nipple seats in the countersunk part of the caliper to form a fluid tight seal. Sorry, but I doubt if will be satisfactory with a helecoil.
Tony.

Agree you have to be accurate but the ace up the sleeve is the clearance in the thread which should allow the taper on the end of the valve to bring it into line in use unless badly out.

I feel there is a better chance of success than trying to tap it to a larger size.

Of course I could be well wrong.

piman wrote:
Hello JP,

yes the Recoil kits are good and have everything you need in them and at a reasonable cost.

There should be no problems as the recoil tap will follow the original drilling.

Alec

Sorry for my ignorance but is a recoil kit different to the helicoil kit I linked to above ?

Many thanks for all the responses

JP wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance but is a recoil kit different to the helicoil kit I linked to above ?

Helicoil is a tradename, but like Hoover it has become synonymous with the generic product.

Recoil is another make, usually a bit cheaper than Helicoil. Most of the kits I own are made by Recoil.

Same happened to me a while back. The machinest at work made me a collar with the original thread inside and the next size up thread on the outside, cant remember the sizes now. I do remember however that the casting was a sod to drill and tap, the metal was crumbling away like powder. I managed to get just enough thread and lock tighted the collar in, it worked and has been fine for over 12 months, inc. RBRR.

On ebay some one in usa does a similar collar for Harley Davidson callipers.

Good find jp................... but I think the wall thickness is a tad too thick, making the outside diameter too big......... I think you will find that there isn't much room in the calliper casting. I will ask the machinist at work if he still has the program that he used for mine............ it's a long shot but if he has the info still and could squeeze one into his workload I'll sort one for you.

187 wrote:
Good find jp................... but I think the wall thickness is a tad too thick, making the outside diameter too big......... I think you will find that there isn't much room in the calliper casting. I will ask the machinist at work if he still has the program that he used for mine............ it's a long shot but if he has the info still and could squeeze one into his workload I'll sort one for you.

Cheers for the offer much appreciated but I've gone for the recoil kit so fingers crossed it'll do the trick. I'll report back and if anyone else needs to borrow it let me know.

Thanks a lot for all your help much appreciated

Archived