npanne

ferny wrote:
I've got dirty calipers and some red engine paint. Should I? ;D
Is engine paint ok on calipers? I'd assume so.

Ferny,

I've got red calipers on my (blue) spit at the moment - and i love the flashes of red that you can see through the wheels!

Will post a picture when i get home.

Llessur wrote:
Your paint job is remarkable. You must be very skilled with a brush.... ;)

In the words of the great Norman Stanley Fletcher, "Naff 'orf".

And you think that's bad? - I've seen the ropey paint job on your bonnet...

;)

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8205&frostProductName=Bright%20Blue%20Caliper%20Paint%20%20(310ml)&catID=24&frostCat=Painting&frostSubCat=Others&subCatID=34

I used this stuff, in gold. Just been out to check and 2 years and a few thousand miles later and it's as good as it was when I took this picture.

Can recommend. Do not attempt to use anything other than a special VHT paint. Definately not hammerite and I would guess that engine paint is a no no too.

I just used the brake caliper paint that Halfords do. Its kind of epoxyish to apply and you've got to follow the instructions regarding when to apply the next coat etc for it to work. It comes in a spray can so you've got to take the whole thing apart to spray it. I think they do brush on but I'm not sure if the paint is the same stuff. Lots of different colours available for those that like to pimp their rides!

Mine have been like that for 10,000 miles and still look like the photo above - only with more brake dust over everything because I dont run any dust shields!

olib007 wrote:
Not so sure about the pimped gold look :D but the red looks sweet!

:o I have an idea that 2 years ago, when I did that job, I found out that the callipers were originally supplied in Gold. But then, that was a hectic summer so I could be imagining that as well!

The new springs were supplied Red, guess the originals were black?

I used hammerite on some calipers when I put them on my MK3 spit, those calipers are now on my vitesse, and they were painted 16 years ago. Still OK, if rather dirty. The main thing is to get them clean first, I used wire brushes in drills, and cleaned with celly thinners. And the hammerite has lasted well, but it doesn't get knocked about on the caliper, so should last well.

Clive

Quote:
I have an idea that 2 years ago, when I did that job, I found out that the callipers were originally supplied in Gold. But then, that was a hectic summer so I could be imagining that as well!

You might be right there. I think they were supplied with a 'yellow passivated' finish,  so they would have looked gold.

Archived