Removing calipers from hydraulic system

mazfg

Currently doing front suspension. I want to overhaul my front brake calipers and thought about taking them off the hoses.

Does the piece of cling film over the master cylinder work well, as in keeping the fluid in the pipes, or will it start to leak out. Would I be better just removing the brake fluid, but then can I leave the system empty for a while, whilst I have both calipers off? I will again have to do the same when i do my rear suspension and check the wheel cylinders there too. So an easy method would be good as I will be having to use it twice. As part of the overhaul I have some new stainless steel hoses to fit too.

Any pointers appreciated :o)

I got some cheap mild steel female pipe unions. The ones for making your own brake pipes with a pipe flaring tools. I then used chemical metal to seal off the hole.

When you take the calipers off you can use these to seal the hose. You still need to bleed the system subsequently, but saves getting air into the system and less damaging than those hose clamps.

I don't think the cling film method alone will work because if you disconnect more than one device then that will allow air in and fluid out. Some people use hose clamps but I don't like them as I think they can damage the rubber. My preferred method is to drain the system as the fluid should be changed every two years anyway.

Steve_Curton wrote:
I don't think the cling film method alone will work because if you disconnect more than one device then that will allow air in and fluid out. Some people use hose clamps but I don't like them as I think they can damage the rubber. My preferred method is to drain the system as the fluid should be changed every two years anyway.

I don;t mind draining the fluid, I need to replace it anyway. My reservation was that, the calipers are going to be off for at least a few weeks and wondered if it was ok to keep the hydraulic system empty over that time. Being Autumn time and somewhat damp is water likely to find it's way into the system and react with the left over brake fluid in the system? I'd try and plug everything up as much as possible but you know what the fluids like for drawing water to it!

Gt6s wrote:
No need fo any of that. Get a length of wood and jam down the brake pedal this will keep the fluid in the lines.

Yes, but I don't want to keep the pedal depressed over weeks, may affect the spring in the master cylinder or even the seals. Good idea short term though. thanks

I make up short lengths of tubing, that fit tightly over the flared end of the brake tube.   Each is doubled over, so that the tube kinks and blocks, then held in that position with a twist of wire.   You can make these up on the bench, and have them in your pocket to jam either end onto the brake tube once it's disconnected.  Permanent, or at least as long as you need to get your calipers reconditioned.

John

3398 wrote:
Bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300453167829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
then going to solder over the hole, should do the trick nicely

thay will only fit in you caliper not over the flexy pipe ,you need female ends if you wont to blank of the  flexy pipe  end,thay will fit in the copper end if you remove flexy, but by soldering up the end , and not haveing a proper flared bit of pipe you will most prob damage the flared, when you fix flexy back you will have a leek,

Archived