changing to type 14 calipers. Help

d_taddei2

The outer edge of the hub has a bevelled edge. With type 12 calipers this edge was left rough cast, when type 14s are fitted this edge runs very close to the caliper. It often clears, but any bearing wear will lead to contact. In other cases there is contact even with perfect bearings.
When the factory fitted type 14s, the previously rough cast edge was machined - five minutes work in a lathe if you've got one that's big enough, not a job I'd fancy with a file though. A secondhand set of type 14 hubs is probably the easiest approach.

Cheers,
Bill.

Just bolt the new calipers on,you might be lucky as Bill has just said
If not :-
Check the discs are not touching,but be aware that the next bit  I'll explain may cause rubbing until you have done the grinding(if you need to) it might not"look right"

Discs should clear

Outer edge may rub,as you can see I had started to grind when the pic was taken
but you can see what you may have to grind away

And again

You don't need much clearance,spin the hub to make sure there is no contact whatsoever !

And again

You can "shave a bit" off the caliper but don't do too much.
I just held an angle grinder against the hub edge and turned the hub slowly so it grinds all the way evenly.
Not a hard job,should only take half an hour !

well finally got the job done, but had to shave more than i expected, and i wish it was only half an hour of grinding but was alot longer, i didnt grind the caliper at all just the hub, and also used washers to same me shaving a few extra ml, i reckon the calipers i got were cast alot bigger, even had to trim the back plate at each end for it to fit. but thanks for the info and pics.

dom