Bleeding type 14 calipers

Zeus

Hi all,

I have just rebuilt most of the brakes on my '69 1200. It has type 14 calipers on the front. I stripped these and cleaned them before installing a new seal kit.

Now re-fitted to the car, I cannot seem to bleed them properly using the 2 man method. It is definately the calipers as I have clamped off all the flexible hoses (4) and the pedal is solid. I remove one of the clamps from either front caliper and the pedal is squashy.

Should I have primed them before fitting?

I am about to unbolt the calipers whilst still plumbed in and try rotating them and bleeding them while holding them in my hand. I will have to find a chok to keep the pistons from extending.

Any other tips?

Zeus

When you put the calipers back together was there a rubber seal between (I think), were the hole for the bleed nipple is ?

Also, is there any fluid leaks on either caliper ?. This would indicate where the air could be getting in.

If you find a leak, then you will probably need to split it into two halves & give each half a careful file flat.

Other than that, you could look at if you have correctly assembled all the seals around the piston (s).

Sam.

Thanks for all the help with thise ideas. Tried them all now, and still no improvement.

I am away for the weekend now but on my return I think I will try swapping calipers from my Spitfire. I hate breaking one car to fix another but there must be something wrong with the calipers and swapping them from a known working system should prove that.

Once proved I guess I'll just have to fork out for refurbed calipers, but at 90 quid-ish for the pair plus another tener wasted on a seal kit it is starting to add up.

Still, brakes are quite important arn't they?

Zeus

Oh, by the way, When putting in new piston seals, I did not split the caliper body as the Haynes manual says not to do this and the seal kit contained no gaskets. There were two rubber washers that I could not find much use for.

Should I have split the caliper body?

Zeus

In the Vitesse/early Spit/herald factory workshop manual in the brake section there's a paragraph about the problem of brakes that won't bleed- it refers to the possibility of air being drawn in via the bleed nipple threads, and it tells you to close the nipple after each push of tyhe pedal before allowing the pedal to return, and then close it during the final stroke...... maybe worth a try.

If all else fails you can try the old trick for bleeding brakes with seized/broken nipples- remove the caliper but leave it connected to the hydraulics, manipulate the caliper so the hose joit is at the highest point, loosen the hose and bleed it through the joint. It's messy but it works, and has got many a Citroenist out of trouble when the tiny 8mm nipple has sheared!