Brake calipers differences

boxcorsair

The easiest way to identify the caliper types is if the piston holds the rubber seal in place inside the bore, then it’s a 16P; if there’s a separate spring clip and the seal goes over the bore, it’s a 16 PB. My early Mk1 uses type 16P; I found them easier to refurbish than later models. For peace of mind I'd use two the same although there's probably no difference in operation, only in the fit of the rubber seal which was probably improved for better water and dirt sealing.

• 2 weeks later...

They are basically the same but the dust covers were modified meaning minor changes to the main body and a different piston and dust cover design.  They may also have different size pad retaining pins.  I think the main seals are the same. I've always found the PB easier to overhaul as the dust covers on the P are right monkeys to fit (I always seem to aquire the knack on the 4th one  :()

Pistons are the same diameter so they will work as a pair but you'll need to buy two sets of seal kits and may need to monkey about drill 2 of the brake pads so they fit.

There is a 3rd variant (at least) called (I think) the M16 which has the same dust cover style as the PB but metric tappings for the bleed nipple and flexihose as well as slightly different (larger) holes for the mounting bolts.  These were used on late GT6 Mk3, TR6 and various Fords.

Nick

Archived