Princess Brake Calipers

Derek Benfield

Derek_Benfield wrote:
I have a set of Princess 4 pot calipers and want to fit them to my 2.5 ltr GT6, however the dimension between the centres of the fixing holes is 3.25 inches on the Princess brakes but 3.5 inches on the caliper mounting bracket.  What am I doing wrong??? Any help much appreciated. Derek

Hi
I think that the MK1 Vitesse caliper mounting plate has the holes at the correct centres for the princess calipers.  I did think that these were very heavy? Have you considered using capri 2.8i disc and spacing the standard calipers?

RB, I think the 1600 vitesse, and indeed early herald disc braked cars, all used the upright from the 1200 drum braked herald? then the caliper mounting bracket was used along with type 12 calipers. So the brackets can be found on some heralds too.
I think we need trackerjack to manufacture some bracket to fit a modern 4 pot off a mondeo or something, and machine citroen discs to fit (capri have the centre too large so very dependant on getting all the holes re-drilled exactly right, not easy)

Dave would it be possible (& not too expensive) to move the caliper further away from the centre?

The Xantia front discs are a (bit) larger diameter than the GT6 standard discs....   More stopping power. 266mm diameter or there is a larger one..

ps look nice, low unsprung weight  :)

Thanks for the feedback. Reading the comments it seems that if I want to fit the Princess 4 pot calipers, then I need to get some of the early Vitesse / Herald Caliper Mouting Brackets. Does anyone know where I can get some??? Are the shiny aluminium ones in the photo from Canley?? Alternativley are there any other 4 pot calipers (cheap!!!) that will fit onto the GT6 bracket (3.5 inch hole pitch). Thanks, Derek

Derek_Benfield wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Reading the comments it seems that if I want to fit the Princess 4 pot calipers, then I need to get some of the early Vitesse / Herald Caliper Mouting Brackets. Does anyone know where I can get some??? Are the shiny aluminium ones in the photo from Canley?? Alternativley are there any other 4 pot calipers (cheap!!!) that will fit onto the GT6 bracket (3.5 inch hole pitch). Thanks, Derek

AFAIK yes, give Dave a bell to confirm at Canleys; for Princess you want the smaller bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can get the brackets in alloy, but the Princess calipers themselves weigh as much as a small building. Wilwood and Hi-Spec are two off-the-shelf options, or you can look at various modern alloy calipers with custom adapters. Something for everyone...

Archived