I think I may need new brake calipers.

Spitty2Dream4

Well... I'm pretty sure I do need new calipers.
The car is pulling to the right when braking and my lovely new right hand side disc has a blue tinge to it because it has been so hot.. I've also had smoke and the smell of brakes burning from that wheel as well.
Will this overheating and blue tinge have damaged the disc in any way?

When I first MOT's the spit, it failed because of binding front brakes, but I gave the callipers a good rub-down and got her through MOT, but there must be an underlying problem since I couldn't remove all the pitting from the pistons.

I guess I'll be needing pistons and a repair kit at least... From Rimmers this would cost £32, but they also do exchange calipers for £36.... seems like a No-Brainer to me.. let someone else do the the recon job for the extra £4.

What have you guys experienced? Any tips?

Unless rimmer has some kind of sale on, then calipers are 40 quid each.

So you are looking at a 80 quid expense.

Alternatively you could pop in at James paddock and get 2 pistons at 7.50 each and a rep kit at 6.50.

Plus - when you do the recon yourself you know it is done properly.

Cheers
Nick

i've got a pair of calipers going spare here, working spot on when removed approx a month ago. just passed the mot as well with them,£30 +post?  i would be replacing the disc if its 'blued', it might of tempered it a bit and make it a bit more brittle.

craig

236 wrote:
i've got a pair of calipers going spare here, working spot on when removed approx a month ago. just passed the mot as well with them,£30 +post?  i would be replacing the disc if its 'blued', it might of tempered it a bit and make it a bit more brittle.

craig

Hi Craig,
Very interested in this. £30 for the pair + post sounds ok to me. What made you want to change them? Are they from a Spit 1500? Mine is 1978.
Regards,
Neil.

Nick_B. wrote:
Unless rimmer has some kind of sale on, then calipers are 40 quid each.
So you are looking at a 80 quid expense.

online currency converter wrote:
Live rates at 2009.08.05 12:26:54 UTC
80.00 GBP     =     136.052 USD

You people just make me sick.  I think you do it on purpose.  Have yourself a laugh and go to some US sites and shop for parts:

https://store.digitaloutlook.com/Store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=63&Product_ID=20782&CATID=230

Andy Mace, you are a GOD!  May your thermostat never get stuck!

I had pretty much stopped checking the chain stores for parts more GT6-specific than a headlight sometime around 1992 when that seemed to be all they stocked or could order any more!

236 wrote:

craig

Hi Craig, I've PM'd you also. Look forward to hearing from you.

rotoflex wrote:
Andy Mace, you are a GOD!  May your thermostat never get stuck!
You're making me blush!  ;D

rotoflex wrote:
I had pretty much stopped checking the chain stores for parts more GT6-specific than a headlight sometime around 1992 when that seemed to be all they stocked or could order any more!
They seem to be getting better, although not perfect. Just for fun, I looked up the same thing on NAPA's web site. They don't list a caliper for the 1970 GT6, but they do list one for the 1970 TR6, which I'm pretty certain is the same Girling Type 16 caliper! It's all in how good their databases are, I suppose. Last year, I got a caliper for a Toyota Paseo but couldn't figure out why it wouldn't mount up. Turns out it's the same caliper as for a Corolla, but there's a separate (but included) mount plate, and those mount plates were different! Fortunately, my local store had no problem accepting back a "core" with a very newish-looking mount plate and a very seized old caliper....

Archived