mike kimmens

Anybody got a pair of stag front brake calipers for sale? Hopefully will be getting the rebuilt 2.5 engine back from the reconditioners soon but still running on MK1 2000 brakes with the 3/8" discs. Stag discs and calipers are cheaper than 2500 so I thought I would change to them with the 15" Minilites but need a pair of calipers to recon or exchange.

I'm confused, I know there's a difference between MK 1 and Stag front brakes, but what's the differences between MK2 and Stag?

I ask because I'm thinking of doing this very conversion on my MK1, which may have MK2 front brakes (I'm not sure!) and if MK2 and Stag brakes are the same in some way, it may mean less work.

I know that MK1's have a thin disc, any other differences?

Thanks

Andy

1529 wrote:
So if I change to Stag, I'll have to change the hubs too, if I've still got MK1 brakes?

Only of you have early Mk1 brakes.

A well known trader starting with R will do you brand new mk2 hubs inc new wheel studs for £21 each, so I would expect second hand to be much cheaper, and also other traders to be the same or cheaper.

Cheers

Colin

I think we've lost a few posts in here too as I'm trying to find the bit where I said I'd measure the hardness of the Stag stub axles I have.

There was mention here that the Stag and Saloon axles were the same save for hardening on the Stag items.  Checked the R site for part numbers and both are allocated the same number.
Checked the NOS Stag axles I received several years ago from a supplier here in NL who dealt exclusively with Stags:  both axles have a hardness of around 20-25HRc all over.
Checked the old worn ones on spare uprights I have: both are 20-25 all over except the 27.0mm section where the inner bearing fits which was 48-55HRc.

My conclusion unless better evidence is supplied: Only the inner bearing race on Stag stub axles was hardened on the originals out of the factory.  Probably induction hardening.
The (supposed) NOS replacements I have may be Saloon parts.

699 wrote:
I think we've lost a few posts in here too as I'm trying to find the bit where I said I'd measure the hardness of the Stag stub axles I have.

There was mention here that the Stag and Saloon axles were the same save for hardening on the Stag items.  Checked the R site for part numbers and both are allocated the same number.
Checked the NOS Stag axles I received several years ago from a supplier here in NL who dealt exclusively with Stags:  both axles have a hardness of around 20-25HRc all over.
Checked the old worn ones on spare uprights I have: both are 20-25 all over except the 27.0mm section where the inner bearing fits which was 48-55HRc.

My conclusion unless better evidence is supplied: Only the inner bearing race on Stag stub axles was hardened on the originals out of the factory.  Probably induction hardening.
The (supposed) NOS replacements I have may be Saloon parts.

Sadly the parts that you get supplied now would (unless NOS) be the same for saloon and Stag, this wasn't the case originally hence the 'bonus' of getting some good condition used original, hardened Stag stub axles in an Ebay deal for the front brakes.