alloy rack mts /GT6 callipers

alan pettit

I have some canleys alloy rack  mts for my spit. When I offer them up they seem tight enough but I'm concerned that they do not locate against the plinths on the steering rack like the original mounts do. Should i be worried ? By plinths i mean the little steel walls at either end of the rack that teh old rubber bushes sat up against and with teh rubber flap located underneath... Can anyone shed some light on this?
I'm also converting to Gt6 uprights and discs . Which of the 2 imperial GT6 calipers should I go for? Who is the best for supplying these?
Thank you

I "think" all the alloy rack mounts are like this. Saying that, I have a vague memory of some that had a wider base, but they may have been a home-brew? If concerned I guess you could add a small block, but I and many others have been using the alloy ones for years.
You may/will need to use a cable tie/jubilee clip etc to hold the anti-rattle plunger in on the nearside, but not rocket science.

Can't advise on the callipers, I have the late metric type! But they should bot effectively be the same, maybe the later ones have some advantages?I guess the usual suspects carry them, handy if you have a pair top exchange though.

thanks clive. which bit is the anti rattle plunger ? Thats a new one on me.
I have some old calipers to exchange , i was going to go for the imperial ones to keep all the unions relatively simple and not mix them up.  TRGB do calipers outright at reasonable price of £60 each. i think the pb type take a 3/16 pin and the p type a 1/4 inch pin.

It is a little plastic button, sits in a hole in the rack tube and presses against the innards, hidden under the rubber rack clamp bush.
I presume most if not all racks had them?
Having thought about it, the pb calipers have some dust cover advantage (from memory), and you can use the later metric pads with the assistance of a 1/4" drill. Mintex 1144 then freely available :)
No idea about the pin sizes between the p and pb, I honestly assumed they were the same.

Archived