Can't get my callipers back on!

Steve Cureton

I've just rebuilt the front brakes on my 1200, including new disks, wheel bearings and type 12 recon callipers. It’s all gone together apparently no problem until I tried to fit the callipers. It’s the same problem on both sides. The disk is not sitting centrally in the calliper and it’s as if the disk needs to go another couple of millimetres further on the stub.

I’ve tried without the dust seal but that makes no difference. I’ve checked the disk is the same profile as the original, which it is. I’ve checked the bearings are fully home which they are as I can see them up against the shoulder in the hub. I’ve bought the components from a reliable source so now I’m stuck for ideas.

Anyone able to suggest anything else?

Sorry, just re-read your message, I think if I removed the dust shields then I'd be okay, but would prefer to leave them on if possible. Just to clarify, type 12 have the large disk shield but no dust shield, type 14 have both, I'm presuming you're referring to the larger disk shield?

Yes, I was thinking of the large disk shield which if I remember correctly is sandwiched between the caliper & the upright & would therefore move the caliper a couple of mm. Sounds like you know that!

Have you still got the old calipers to compare with the new?

Charlie, I've got the callipers on by removing the dust shield like you suggested. I don't understand why I have to do this but at least I have callipers that fit now, and I can't see any useful purpose for the shields unless anyone knows otherwise?

I haven't got the original callipers as they were exchange units. However I did try the old disks with the new callipers and although the calliper would fit it was still only just about clearing the disk. Maybe a combination of all the new components and poor reproduction tolerances have compounded to create this slight problem overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ed, that's the sort of thing I was beginning to suspect, although I did ask the supplier if anyone had experienced the same problem and they reckon not. They're decent guys and would let me know if anyone else had reported a problem, but of course mine could be the first set from a batch maybe. It's going to be a long time before this car is back on the road so I'l ask them again in a few weeks.

Archived