IVANHOE

Hi,
     I'm learning more about my bitsa vitesse all the time. Like the fact that it has had a 2.5 pi put in but the brakes are not even vitesse spec.

I changed the pads on the front a while ago and discovered type 14 callipers.

Now looking at the shoes at the back I appear to have 7 inch drums.

Now I'm not a fast driver and the brakes seem adequate so they'll stay like that for now. I know to upgrade at the front I need the whole assembly from a vitesse.

Whats involved in upgrading the rear?

But....... my main reason for posting is............ I need to buy some new shoes............. do I just order any herald rear shoes or are some different?

Cheers guys - Andy -

Andy (great name, btw), if you really have 7" drums, a: someone probably threw on some Herald  or Spitfire axle assemblies as they were readily available; and b: basically, all Herald and Spitfire rear shoes are the same.

"Upgrading" back to correct spec. shouldn't be too difficult other than rounding up the bits you need. Basically, you need 8" drums and the 8" backing plates -- along with everything that goes on them -- from a Vitesse 6 or 2L or a "Mk1" GT6. You can reuse the brake adjusters, and you might even be able to reuse the wheel cylinder, handbrake lever and such depending on what size they are, but you'll need the correct Vitesse/GT6 shoes, and you might as well grab new springs.

Don't forget to beg, borrow or steal the correct type of hub puller, as that has to come off to change backing plates, of course!

Thank you Andy,
                          Your reply is much appreciated.

I'm beggining to think that I may have a 1360 chassis/running gear and a vitesse body/trim.

Cheers --- Andy ---

Andy,
         The commision no. is    HC52515 DLO     I know thats a deluxe saloon with o/drive.

Paint code  66               trim 13.

On the drivers side bulkhead    50450 HCC.

I don't know yet what the gearbox is from, I would like to find out though.

Best regards --- Andy ---

187 wrote:
So why the herald brakes is anyones guess.
Indeed! I guess I'd go back to my original "someone probably threw on some Herald  or Spitfire...assemblies as they were readily available" supposition!  :P

Do you at least have the overdrive (the "O" in the commission number)? and what might you have for a differential?

Archived