Matt Neale

Hi.  I have front drums on a 1969 1200.  The spindles for the brake adjusters are completely shot.  The parts are not available anymore as far as I can see.  Is there a work around?

Also, as the front shoes are not available should I be looking at stocking up on the ones I have seen on Ebay recently?  Mine still have a little life in them but won't last forever.

Thanks

Matt

A 1/4" nut (7/16" head) can usually be hammered over the original 1/4" squared adjuster, then secured with mig weld, set the welder on ahigh power setting for good penetration. It's easier to do this with the backplate horizontal on the bench, this also allows a decent cleanup before and after the welding.

Sets of shoes have been turning up regularly on ebay for around £30 recently, which is a good enough price to buy in as an insurance policy. Originals can always be re-lined, so hang on to the worn shoes for the future,

Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:
A 1/4" nut (7/16" head) can usually be hammered over the original 1/4" squared adjuster, then secured with mig weld, set the welder on ahigh power setting for good penetration. It's easier to do this with the backplate horizontal on the bench, this also allows a decent cleanup before and after the welding.
Bill, that's a brilliant idea! At one time, there was an aftermarket replacement adjuster kit (MoProd, perhaps?). Are they still available, and are/were they worth fitting? I happen to have one but have yet to use it.

heraldcoupe wrote:
Sets of shoes have been turning up regularly on ebay for around £30 recently, which is a good enough price to buy in as an insurance policy. Originals can always be re-lined, so hang on to the worn shoes for the future.
There's at least one set of Ferodo shoes currently on eBay for £134.99 (currently on sale at £15.00 off!) and an "off-brand" for £116.99 (£13.00 off!). Fortunately, I have seen somewhat less expensive ones...  :P

herald948 wrote:
there was an aftermarket replacement adjuster kit (MoProd, perhaps?). Are they still available, and are/were they worth fitting? I happen to have one but have yet to use it.

MPK3 I think is the kit number. They work well, though I have had the odd one strip it's thread and/or splines (it was a long time ago, I can't remember exactly) when the nut was tightened. I've not seen new ones for a while, but they can usually be found at autojumbles for £15-20 for a set of four. I don't know of anywhere to get them on-demand, so another item worth buying when you get the chance.

Cheers,
Bill.