Adjusting Front Brake Drums

Stu 1986

Hello Chaps,
Little Doris, the 1200 Herald I'm working on, went for an MOT test today. Sadly she failed on a few minor issues, one of which was:

Front Brakes Imbalanced across axle (45%)

She also failed on Handbrake leaver having no reserve travel.

I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure for adjusting the brakes on the front drums? The old Autopress manual I have doesn't cover it and I've only worked with the rear drums. Are they the same?

Ta,
S.

Hello Stu,

you can't adjust the brakes to compensate for left right imbalance, the chances are that one cylinder is stuck and not contributing to the braking. Take the drums off and have  good look at the cylinders shoes etc. You should also be able to work out how they are adjusted then. Possibly that is what is required to cure your rear brake  overlong handbrake travel.

Alec

My first car was a 1963 Herald 1200. The front drum brakes were twin leading shoe ( ie. 2 slave cylinders on each side) each slave cylinder needing adjusting via an eccentric cam (usually seized). The system was a bloody nightmare and unreliable. I ran it for about 18 months the traded it in against a new 13/60 in 1969. What a difference!

Worst thing about Herald front drum brakes is that new shoes currently are pretty much nonexistent (save your cores to have them relined). Second worst thing is, after 45-50 years or so, the square-peg side of the adjuster might be pretty well chewed up (2a, because the adjusters are pretty much seized up). Third worst thing is that they do require rather more maintenance, especially in the form of adjustments that might need to be done far more frequently than most of us are used to, and almost certainly more frequently than the rear brakes. Fourth worst thing is that they're much more prone to fading, especially when descending steep mountainous roads and similarly severe use (also, they don't stop a car quite as well when in reverse, especially backing down a steep driveway or such, that being the nature of two-leading-shoe brakes). Fifth worst thing is that if you've come up with a substantial power increase over stock, I hope you're not even reading this because you've long since converted to front discs.  ;D

1218 wrote:
Do I need to change, remove or modify the engine side valences?

On most 1200s, no. There is already a cut-out to clear the rigid brake pipe which passes under the valance, the redundant hole for the drum-brake hose union is left unfilled in the disc application.

It won't apply to your car, but in the case of 948s and possibly the first Mk1 1200s, there is no cut-out for the rigid pipe, the valance needs to be notched to allow for it,

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've actually managed to track down a set of wheel cylinders for the front, so I'll replace all 4 of them to rule that out. Further good news is that the car's owner has a few sets of spare front shoes so if need be I'll replace them (and keep the old ones for re lining).

Converting the car to discs isn't something we'd want to do as it's a very original car, and the drums are part of the charm.

Thanks Again,
Stu.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've actually managed to track down a set of wheel cylinders for the front, so I'll replace all 4 of them to rule that out. Further good news is that the car's owner has a few sets of spare front shoes so if need be I'll replace them (and keep the old ones for re lining).

Converting the car to discs isn't something we'd want to do as it's a very original car, and the drums are part of the charm.

Thanks Again,
Stu.

1953 wrote:
Thanks for the replies chaps, I've actually managed to track down a set of wheel cylinders for the front, so I'll replace all 4 of them to rule that out. Further good news is that the car's owner has a few sets of spare front shoes...

Given how scarce those are, you might want to store them in a safe in an undisclosed location!  ;D

Quote:
And, as I said before, can function just fine once properly set up.

herald948 wrote:
Given how scarce those are, you might want to store them in a safe in an undisclosed location!  

Despite the supposed rarity of these, every autojumble I've attended over the past couple of years has yielded at least one new asbestos-lined set of front shoes.

I guess they're only rare because few enthusiasts bother with autojumbles in the 21st century,

Cheers,
Bill.

1953 wrote:

Thanks Again,
Stu.

I'm not sure that "charm" is something you want in brakes.....?  

I had drums on my early '65 1200 when I first got it and they were downright scary.  To be fair, when all adjusted up they weren't that bad, they just didn't stay that way for long.  I soon swapped them for discs (also available from the factory at the time) which worked better and remained working without constant attention.  Later upgraded to Vitesse 2L brakes (power levels demanded it at that point) which gave it truly excellent stopping ability for a 60s (or even 70s) car.

Nick

I understand where you're coming from, but this is a standard 1200 Herald that spends it's time bumbling around the city where speeds seldom reach more than 30 mph. I have driven this car in it's current state and find the brakes work fairly well in rush hour traffic. Admittedly I do tend to use the gearbox to assist in slowing down, so that might be a factor.
Besides the owner wants the drums to stay also and ultimately its up to her.